Kalam Learning Center
(A platform for learning by doing programe)
Objectives: To improve the teaching ability and understanding the topic of the subject by the Students via developing the experiment him/herself and to provide maximum practical understanding of the concepts.
The Context: There is a popular Chinese proverb, actually it was the basis of our old teaching methodology as:
I listen I forget
I see I remember
“I do I learn”
‘Learning by doing’ –a self-service project for Students.
- We have developed about 15 experiments of important topics of Physics and 07 experiments of important topics of Chemistry which are the part of curriculum of B. Sc. Classes in Physics and Chemistry both, which are the fundamental in nature and useful in daily life.
- The understanding of such topic by Student makes him/herself strong in grasping the subject knowledge.
- We have developed about 15 experiments of important topics of Physics and 07 experiments of important topics of Chemistry which are the part of curriculum of B. Sc. Classes in Physics and Chemistry both and are the fundamental in nature and useful in daily life.
- By recording the said Experiments, the recorded matter is being provided to students residing in remote area too.
- Organized several workshops/ training programmes
- The list of developed experiments is as follows:
Experiments for Physics
- Power Generator- principle-working
- Motor- principle-working
- Generator and Motor Inter conversion
- Determination of Density of water
- Determination of Density of mercury
- Determination of Density of steel block
- Determination of Density of wood block
- Archimedes principle with Steel block and Mercury.
- Principle of Galvanometer, its construction and its conversion in to Ammeter and Voltmeter.
- Linear expansion of metallic rod
- Interference of sound wave and determination of wave length
- Radiation pressure
- Formation of 3D image of magnetic lines of force.
- Collision of Bodies
- Concept of Pressure with variation in no. of particle and temperature
- Experiments for Chemistry
- Formation of electrochemical cell
- Visualization of magnetic particles
- Preparation of Nano-particles
- Preparation pH solution
- Preparation of pH paper
- Determination of pH of common edibles like tea, coffee, milk, lemon etc.
- Determination of soap value for edible oil
Evidence of Success:
- Dedicated teams consisting of faculty members and students headed by Dr. Ravindra Mangal and Dr. H. P. Vyas-Ex. - Director DRDO, New Delhi have imparted the knowledge to about 10,000 Students in The State and Out Side the State.
- In the College establishment of the center in the memory of Dr. A. P. J. ABDUL KALAM as “KALAM Learning Centre” with the aim of ‘Learning by doing’ activities and to inculcate Scientific Temper among students and also uplift the underprivileged students.
Problems Encountered and Resources Required
At present the center is run by own financial resources but laboratories and other infrastructure have been provided by the institute. A proposal for financial grants has been submitted to CCE, Jaipur.