Govt. Dungar College, Bikaner is named after Maharaja Shri Dungar Singhji and in its nascent state was called The Darbar School. Shri Dungar Singhji was the 20th ruler of the erstwhile state of Bikaner and established The Darbar School in the year 1873.After his demise, his brother Ganga Singhji elevated the Darbar School to Dungar Memorial College on 25 September, 1912. College level teaching started in the year 1928. In the year 1937 degree classes started in the college and in the same year the school was separated from the college with the name of Sardul School. In July 1940, intermediate Science Faculty started with Physics and Chemistry subjects. In 1942, Degree level Science, law classes and post- graduate Departments of Hindi, Sanskrit, English, History and Economics were opened. In the year 1951, there were only five post-graduate colleges in Rajasthan and Dungar College was one of them.
In 1962, the college shifted from Sardul school premises to its present-building. Postgraduate teaching in Physics and Chemistry started in the same year. In 1970 M.Sc in Zoology, Botany and LLM were started. The college extended its academic growth with the postgraduate teaching in Geography, Sociology, Economics, Geology and Urdu departments. From 1988-1995 the college was given the status of an autonomous college. In the session 1996-97, commerce faculty was started in the college. Today this college is one of the premier institutions of Rajasthan, where 22 subjects are being taught at Graduate and Post Graduate level and 10 at M.Phil level. Research work is also being carried out for Ph.D Degree in all three faculties Arts, Science & Commerce. Dungar College was recognized by the UGC u/s 2f and 12B in the year 1972 as per its policy for colleges established before 1972.
The Monogram of the college quoted from the Upanishads depicts a flying swan across the vast ocean of knowledge symbolizing purest form of knowledge.